Saturday, August 29, 2009

Living Luxury

My recent post on Luxury has gotten me thinking about all the things that it means to me. One word that keeps popping into my head lately is Quality.

As a designer I look at quality in materials. Items that are well-designed and are made to a high standard. I often look to small companies because they seem to be run as much on passion as they are for profit. The proprietors of the business eat, sleep and breathe their work and they stand behind what they do. They choose their materials wisely and oversee the process from manufacture to store. In green design this is especially important. I need to know that everything in the product and process is done in a way that I can comfortably recommend to my clients. Quality materials look better, last longer and often create a sense of pride in ownership. I believe that is luxury.


As a human being, I look for quality of life. Spending time doing things you love with people you love leads to a happier life. We must be able to balance the not-so-great with the great so we feel satisfied. When you spend more time in the drudgery of life than you do in enjoyment, it leads to problems. We must be honest with ourselves on what makes us happy and what does not and make an effort to create more joy.

So here is a little assignment:
  • Write down 5 things that bring you joy. They can be activities, people or objects
  • Come up with a way to incorporate each of these into your life on a regular basis.
If you post your list in the comments section, I will enter your name into a drawing for this luxurious giveaway from my favorite source for handmade goods, Esty.

Set of 4 Coasters made w/ Amy Butler fabric  Morning Glory in Slate
check out the Etsy shop

The drawing will be held at the end of next week.


My List:
1. Curling up in the morning with a cup of tea
2. Catching up with my amazing friend Kim
3. Digging through fabric swatches and imagining what I can do with them
4. Watching my dog, Lily, bound through tall grass like a miniature deer
5. Cooking dinner with my husband

No comments:

Post a Comment