Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Build It Green

I just got back from a green building professional training course put on by Build It Green, a California based program that certifies homes and industry professionals. The course was well organized and very informative, plus I got to brush up on my construction knowledge and meet new people in the industry.

I highly recommend checking out the organization to learn about green building practices, regardless of where you live. It's not overly technical and they definitely preach the doable versus an over the top doom-and-gloom stance on sustainability.

The one thing I want to say is that we all need to be informed consumers. Don't be afraid to ask questions: you need to know the pros and cons in order to make the best decision at that moment. Things are constantly changing and it's easy to get overwhelmed, but awareness and a little common sense goes a long way. And if you are looking for some help, there are lots of organizations out there to guide you in the right direction.

Green Guide Network is a business directory for green companies. They currently have listings for Southern California but are expanding nationally within the next few months.

The Green Spec Directory lists building products that fit the criteria needed for most green organizations (third party certification, etc.)

Treehugger.com is a great resource for those who don't know where to start with their education.

Or you can contact me at linsi.brownson@gmail.com. I love to educate (i.e., hear myself talk).


No comments:

Post a Comment