Tuesday, April 28, 2009

back to the grind (well, sort of)

Last week was Earth week, which meant a busy week for me. There were so many events going on in the area that it would have been impossible to be everywhere. I had a booth at several shows and got to attend a couple of others and am very excited to report that each place I went had a great turnout!

my table at the Mitsubishi Electronics Eco-Fair

But, alas, it's time to get back to the office. Lucky for me 'work' includes reading blogs and trade publications, researching new green companies and technology and selecting materials for client projects. This morning I got to attend a Wellness Day at Tangram, a local Steelcase dealer. The topic covered some new research that looks at Health as an important part of the workplace environment.

Steelcase is known for paving the way for ergonomic, functional and environmentally-friendly office furnishings. Now they are focusing on the rest of the picture; the health epidemic and how it affects both employee work habits and the company's bottom line.

Without going into too much detail (though I find this incredibly fascinating), research concludes that our brains process things much more efficiently when we are moving. Our bodies were built to move and doing simple things like walking around or changing positions can increase productivity tremendously. Not to mention that people feel better and enjoy work more.

One of the many products designed to fit this need is the walkstation. This 'workstation' features an adjustable height surface and a treadmill that goes up to 2 mph. Just fast enough to get our brains pumping without interfering with typing or talking on the phone. It has wi-fi so that anyone in the office can saddle up with their laptop and get right to work(ing out).

Of course I had to try it!

I hopped on, adjusted my height and set the speed. As I paced along at a comfortable level I couldn't help but wonder what my AutoCAD drawings would look like if they were done while walking...but it would be a great place to check email and return phone calls.

Then it was time to try out the wii fit. I practiced yoga and watched a sales rep hula hoop and then wandered over to get a massage. Seriously, it's been a rough day.


No comments:

Post a Comment