Thursday, July 2, 2009

I'm no Martha

In an attempt to re-awaken my inner crafter, I decided to try a simple project that I found on How About Orange, a cool DIY blog. The goal was to recycle magazines into coasters by 'weaving' the paper, thereby creating a textural and functional piece of art.

The author of the blog, Jessica, has become a bit of a paper-weave expert and self-proclaimed fanatic, going so far as to make baskets and other cool things. I, on the otherhand, will not be adding myself to the paper-weavers fan list anytime soon (nor would I consider it a hobby, pastime or anything in the realm of fun!). My experience was that magazine paper, which is slippery and bulks up when folded, was not meant to be woven into anything. One row across, one row down...yeah right. More like one row across, one down, then redo what you just did because it slipped out of place. And repeat.


It's kind of a mess, right? I don't think I will be honing my skills on paper weaving so it's on to something else...

If you would like to show me up, by all means please attempt this project yourself. You'll find directions here. Good luck to you and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment